- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 pieces trout fillet
Mix 3 tablespoons butter, the lemon zest, juice, shallots and 2 tablespoons chives until well combined. Place the butter onto a small piece of plastic wrap and, using both ends of the plastic wrap, spin it around to make a cylinder. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
Using needle nose tweezers, remove all the bones from the trout. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat in a large nonstick skillet. Sprinkle the trout with salt and pepper. Place the fish skin-side down and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Using a sharp paring knife, slide the knife into the thickest part of the fish. If you don't feel any resistance, your fish is done. Transfer the fish to serving plates, top with butter and garnish with the remaining chives.